Data Science Team
Nift is an invitation-only network that helps neighborhood businesses get the right local customers to walk through the door. Launched in Boston in the Summer of 2016, our start-up outperforms every other form of advertising and has helped over a million people discover great local businesses.
We’re hiring our first dedicated Data Engineer/Algorithm Developer to design, implement and test robust pipelines of ever growing data. Data processing, machine learning and algorithms are the heart and core of our company. Efficient, robust and accurate pipelines are the foundation upon which our product is built, with data driving our key decisions, testing and growth. Our data doubles every two months with even more sources waiting to be added. We’re looking for an experienced senior developer to join our core team. Their contribution will directly impact revenue growth and company success.
This position is based in Boston, MA.
Examples of projects we currently need help with:
- Evaluate methodologies on different platforms, such as R, Spark, H2O, tensorflow, to choose the best solution/platform based on performance, cost and accuracy.
- Compare the cost and performance of different machine learning methods such as kernel methods, random forest, and logistic regression models.
- Adapt commonly used machine learning algorithms to our specific problems, and implement modified algorithms from scratch as needed.
- Work with the Application Team to transfer and process data between different types of databases and environments.
- Design and implement research and production pipelines for data ingestion and model generation.
- Creative use of the existing data, as well as integration of new types of incoming data, for feature engineering to improve models.
- Integrate new data sources from API and non-API sources.
- Scale the infrastructure and models with ever-growing datasets.
Traits we value:
- Excitement about working with ever growing real world data and cutting edge machine learning algorithms.
- Ability to work in a very dynamic environment and to adjust to changing requirements and challenges.
- Desire to be part of a small team and work in a close collaboration with data scientists, other engineers and the UX / product team.
- Ability to write clean and concise code, especially in Java, R or Python.
- Mastery of core computer science concepts, data structures and algorithms.
- Production experience with data management, storage and pipeline.
- Production experience with cloud environments, MapReduce, Hadoop and Spark.
- Keen eye for detail and thoughtful investigation of data before relying upon it.
- Intuition for data science best practices, stemming from proven experience.
- Steadfast focus on creating impactful change and ability to prioritize between many tasks to maximize the improvement of the business.