Data Science Team
Nift is an invitation-only network that helps neighborhood businesses get the right local customers to walk through the door. Launched in Boston in the Summer of 2016, our start-up outperforms every other form of advertising and has helped over a million people discover great local businesses.
Data Science is the heart and core of our company. Algorithms and models are the foundation upon which our product is built, with data driving our key decisions, testing and growth. Our Chief Scientist, David C Parkes, is the former Area Dean of Computer Science at Harvard, the founder of Harvard’s EconCS Group, and the Co-Director of Harvard's Data Science Initiative. Our data doubles every two months with even more sources waiting to be added. Our product represents a completely new kind of marketplace and the science around it has yet to be defined. We’re looking for a senior Algorithmic Economist to join our core team and drive economic thinking throughout the company.
This position is based in Boston, MA.
Examples of projects we currently need help with:
- Develop and implement new pricing and auction systems with the leading scientist in this field.
- Develop algorithms that keep our network fair and optimized.
- Develop causal models.
- Create, build and implement economic models to forecast and monitor the marketplace performance.
- Identify areas of focus to positively impact growth and build tools to analyze supply and demand.
- Work with product, engineering and financial analysis teams to champion economic thinking throughout the company.
- Accelerate research-to-production speed by developing business-appropriate methods to compare different approaches.
- Lead and guide data engineers in implementing our methodologies on different platforms, such as R, Spark, H2O, tensorflow, to capture data streams necessary for analysis.
We have a strong core team with a deep understanding of algorithmic economics and data science. Our work is highly sought-after, and is critical to the success of our business. If you have a proven track-record in the field and are excited to help build Nift, we want to hear from you.
Traits we value:
- Ability to write clean and concise code, especially in R or Python.
- Solid understanding of statistics and microeconomic theory.
- Keen eye for detail and thoughtful investigation of data before relying upon it.
- Steadfast focus on creating impactful change and ability to prioritize between many tasks to maximize the improvement of the business.
- 5+ years industry experience and a Master's degree in a quantitative field, Ph.D. and relevant research experience is a plus.
- Collaborative team player who values the contribution of others.